This week I have been experimenting with egg whites as a high protein breakfast food. This week I decided that instead of posting a recipe of the week I would post my three favourite options.
1. Raspberry Cloud Bread
Ingredients (makes 2 servings):
6 egg whites
1 tsp raspberry jelly powder
0.5 tsp cream of tartar
0.5 tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 130 degrees
- Mix all of the ingredients except for the jelly powder together, being very careful to avoid mixing in any yolk.
- Whisk until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in the jelly powder slowly
- Pour mixture into a lined baking dish, and cook for 90 minutes (or until cooked through).
- When you remove from the oven, let the bake cool, and then pop in a sandwich tub in the fridge until you are ready to eat it. The bread will be light and airy, and taste almost exactly like angel cake!
Nutrition: Protein 10.8g, Fat 0.1g, Carbs 1.3g (54 kcal)
2. Strawberry Protein Smoothie
3-4 Egg whites
2tsp Chopped fresh mint
6-7 Ice cubes
Pop all ingredients in the blender and blend. You wont taste the egg whites at all in this recipe and will be left with an amazingly creamy smoothie
Nutrition (4 egg whites): Protein 14.7g, Fat 0.37g, Carbs 4.8g (85 kcal)
3. Cheesy scrambled egg whites
3-4 Egg whites
2tbsp Mature cheddar (grated)
1tbsp Coconut oil
Salt + Pepper
Bacon (I used sea bacon, a vegetarian alternative to actual bacon)
1 Slice brown bread
1. Heat the coconut oil over a medium high heat for 2 minutes
2. Add the egg whites, salt and pepper and stir for a few seconds until the egg white starts to cook.
3. Remove from the heat and add the cheese. Keep stirring until the egg is all cooked. If it doesn’t look like it is cooking then pop it back on the heat for a few seconds at a time. If you leave it on the hob too long it will turn out rubbery.
4. Meanwhile, cook your toast and bacon to your liking
Nutrition: 17.3g Protein, 12g Fat, 11g Carbs (250 kcals), with bread. 1.8g Carbs without the toast.