If you follow me on Instagram you might notice that I have spent the last 3 weeks on holiday. As I intended to jump straight into my Iron Man training as soon as I was back I tried to think of ways I could keep my fitness up without it feeling like I was ruining my holiday. Here is a list of a few of the things I did to stop myself turning into a big pile of jelly, or jello since I was in the US…
- Got a week long gym pass: Now I know that putting this first is an easy way to lose you all but I don’t expect this option to be for everyone. However hear me out before you close the page… While we were in LA I chose to get a gym membership for a week so that I could finish up my Ghofitness plan for the month and it was the best decision ever! We were staying in an Airbnb which was great but it meant no pool… my gym however not only had a pool but also a jacuzzi and sauna. Best $20 I ever spent.
- Equipment-free workouts: Before I left, I had the team at Ghofitness send me some bodyweight only workouts. I did these 3 times a week while I was away, and they definitely helped to keep me in shape. There are loads of workouts you can find online and most of them just take 30 mins. They are a perfect way to start the day (before a bucket load of pancakes obviously!)
- Beach yoga: There are hundreds of videos online for you to follow if you’re new to yoga, or if you have done a few classes before then just take yourself through some vinyassas on the sand.
- Walks/Hikes: Sometimes keeping fit is a simple as getting in lots of long walks at a half decent pace. This is something super achievable for everyone on holiday and if its all you want to do then it is definitely enough to keep you ready for cardio when you return. We did our hike at Runyon Canyon with the people and dogs from the Free Animal Doctor, giving money to the charity and walking the dogs was the most rewarding experience of our holiday!
- Swimming: If your hotel has a pool or you’re staying near a beach swimming is not just a perfect way to cool off, its actually really good exercise!
Working out on holiday might not be for everyone, and I definitely thought I would do more than I actually did. But I think I am still in good enough shape to pick up my training (although my body fat is definitely twice as high as when I left!!!!)