So as a few of you might know, I am on holiday in the USA at the moment having a wonderful time driving around California. I was undecided as to whether or not I would blog while I was away but I wanted to write about a run I did yesterday while it was still fresh in my mind/legs.
I am training for the Beachy Head marathon, a trail run around the South Downs in the UK, and decided that as my marathon plan included a half that fell this weekend I might as well sign up for a race while I was here in the USA. That race was the Berkeley trail adventure, a gruelling trail run held in a park called Wild Cat Canyon just north of San Francisco. Now since Americans call anything longer than a walk to the corner shop a “hike” I am sure I could be forgiven for expecting this trail run to be nothing more than a run on some gravel around the base of the canyon but I was very very wrong… Hike = walk but trail run = full on mountain climb!!!
During this run I experienced pretty much every single emotion known to man…
- Fear when extremely tight calves resulted in both feet going numb going up the worlds steepest hill 2 miles in to the race. I was actually in tears and didn’t think I was going to be able to get back down the winding trail with a sheer drop into the canyon and two completely numb feet… If anybody has any ideas why this happens or how to avoid it then PLEASE comment!!
- Exhilaration when the next steep down hill section came on a smooth path through a woodland so I could just let go and enjoy it
- Tranquility when I got to the top and saw the view of San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge over the bay.
- Surprise when I heard a buzzing in my ear and then got stung a few seconds later (first time I have ever been stung and I was definitely freaking out for the last 2 miles of my run incase I was allergic)
- Excitement when I saw I was approaching the finish line and my husband
- Pride when I was awarded 2nd in my age category.
This was without a doubt the most difficult run I have ever done but I would 100% do something similar again!! I love trail running in the UK but we just don’t have trails like this! Maybe I need to get into fell running???